Turning back the clock
The results of a facelift are long-lasting, but still not permanent. Over time, the facial skin may again begin to droop and sag in some places and hollow in others. A well-done facelift typically lasts for a decade. The years removed stay removed — but as one continues to age, new evidence of aging may appear.
To put that into perspective, a patient receiving a facelift at age 50 is likely to appear closer to 40. By age 60, he or she is likely to appear closer to age 50. Thus, as time progresses, new age is added, but the aging that was removed “stays removed.”
Factors that influence the lifespan of a facelift
There are several factors that affect and determine how long a facelift lasts. These factors include:
- The quality of the facelift, which rests on the skill of the surgeon
- Whether the skin alone was lifted, or if the musculature that holds the skin in place was also moved.
- The Removal or non removal or fatty deposits around the jawline, mouth and neck. In a good facelift, these are taken out.
- Hereditary and genetic factors. Some patients inherit factors that cause them to age more quickly.
- The after-care of the facelift, which can be summed up as skin care and includes limiting exposure to the sun, using sunscreen, remaining well hydrated and keeping your skin well hydrated, diet, exercise and vitamins or supplements.
How to make a facelift last even longer
Given the volume and frequency of physical changes that occur on and inside of our bodies, ten years is a long time for a cosmetic surgery to last. Nevertheless, we’d like these beautiful results to last as long as possible. Following are suggestions on stretching the life of your facelift for as long as possible.
- Quit smoking if you do. It dries skin, constricts blood flow, depletes oxygen, infuses free radicals, and causes your lips and the surrounding skin to crease, fold and wrinkle with each puff of a cigarette.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol consumption.
- Maintain a health diet and weight.
- Choose a board-certified cosmetic surgeon.
- Stay out of the sun particularly during its peak period, and wear sunscreen daily.
- Keep your body skin well hydrated, including using lotions, creams and hydrating masks.
Begin your journey with us
With many years of experience in cosmetic plastic surgery and having delivered some of the best facelift results in Scottsdale, Dr. Repta is excited to help achieve your aesthetic goals. If you’re unhappy with the signs of aging you see in the mirror, a facelift may be an excellent option for you. Dr. Repta and his caring staff are here to help you answer any questions or concerns you may have.