The Perfect Pout: Top 5 things to know about getting fillers in your lips
- What are lip filler made of? Most fillers are made of Hyaluronic acid which is made naturally in the body. HA fillers help create definition and volume in the lips and lasts approximately 4-6 months, but can vary depending on each individual. HA fillers have a safe profile and can be reversed with an enzyme called Hyaluronidase.
- How should I prepare for getting lip fillers? Plan accordingly- When scheduling an appointment to get your lips filled, plan for swelling and potential bruising. Make sure you have at least two weeks for them to heal, settle and soften. It’s important to follow a pre-filler protocol this can help minimize bruising and speed up healing time, this usually includes stopping fish oil, vitamin E, aspirin, ibuprofen, any blood thinning products, stopping alcohol a few days before injection, and avoiding coffee the day of. Starting Arnica which is a natural supplement a few days prior to injection and taking after injection also helps speed healing time as well.
- Selecting the right injector for you- Finding a practitioner who you trust is very important. They should be qualified and perform the injections in a clean, safe environment. It’s important to do your research and, if possible, read reviews or testimonials. The person you choose to carry out your lip fillers should be able to answer any questions or queries you have.
- What to expect during your appointment- Getting lip filler injections usually takes between 30 minutes and an hour. A strong numbing cream is used to on the lips 15-20 minutes prior to injection to help with comfort throughout the procedure. There is likely to be swelling for the next 24-48 hours and potential bruising – it’s a good idea to avoid sun exposure and hot drinks for a few days post injection and work events, vacations, pictures etc. for at least 2 weeks post injection.
- Expectations and outcomes- Lips fillers are best approached as a layering process over time. It gives our lips time to heal in between injections and minimizes the potential for uneven results. Enhancing your lips current shape and structure is the best way to get positive outcomes. We all come with unique shapes and sizes and enhancing what we already have leads to happy clients and natural outcomes.
If you would like to know more about your Scottsdale plastic surgery options, request a consultation online. Or if you prefer, you are welcome to
call the office at 855 DR REPTA
and one of our staff members will be happy to assist you.