The nose occupies the center of our face and its shape and appearance can have a powerful impact in the overall appearance of our face. The shape and appearance of the nose is so important that certain nose shapes and sizes subconsciously infer personality and character qualities. But we must not forget that the nose is first and foremost functional. We use it to breathe so we do not have to breathe through our mouth, we used it to smell, it affects how our speech sounds, and it can be the source of problems such as sinus issues and sleep apnea.
Understanding the importance of both the aesthetic and functional aspects of the nose is critical in achieving a natural and functional nose job.
So what are the qualities of a natural nose?
Well, first and foremost it matches the persons face and it does not look operated on. To accomplish this a natural nose job must take into consideration the characteristics of that individuals face including:
- Height and width of the face
- Overall angular or round face type
- Chin projection
- Size of cheeks and eyes
- Persons general personality
This is important because a small round nose does not belong or look good on a large angular face. The natural process of development does not produce an overall large angular face but leaves a small round nose.
There are also inherent qualities of a naturally appearing nose including:
- Contour is smooth as opposed to irregular
- The nose flows naturally and consistently from the glabella (part between the eyes) and the tip of the nose
- The bridge of the nose is balances with regards to shape and appearance with the nasal tip
So what makes a good functional nose?
In general, a good functional nose is one where the individual is not conscious of breathing issues. This will include:
- The nasal septum is straight or otherwise does not obstruct airflow
- Breathing ability is symmetric through each nostril
- The nostril opening or the sidewall of the nose does not collapse with forced breathing in
- The nose does not whistle or make other audible noises when forceful breathing occurs
When the above qualities are taken into account, a natural and functional nose job can be achieved.
All the best,
Dr. Remus Repta